Tuesday, July 10, 2007

10 Reasons I Am Loving Summer


The things I'm loving about summer.....


* The iced Mocha challenge; a self appointed survey to find the best one in town.

* Arm loads of sun flowers with heads the size of cantaloupe.

* The Pawnee Buttes and National Grasslands in NE Colorado: remote, cool (as in groovey), and so quiet that you could hear a feather drop. To find the buttes you must travel through a maze of dirt roads, past a ghost town (and it's graveyard) and turn onto a windy, rocky, narrow path. Look out for the easily scared cows who roam freely, they thought we were herding them in and almost created a stampede. YeeHa!!

* The gift of time. It's 4:30 am. I'm up with the dawn to beat the heat, the crowds, the noise. Enjoying silent, nurturing, rishi time.

* Cooking pasta for the people I love and knowing they love it even more than me.

* The "Loch" in Rocky Mountain National Park. An alpine lake with hundreds of natural water lilies that look like peonies.

* The green olive and parmesean loaf from the bakery at Whole Foods. I toast it for breakfast then hum and skip through the rest of my morning.

* Baking organic brownies and giving them away. Baking has a soothing effect on me, giving them away is good for my soul (and my waist line).

* In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed, by Carl Honore. This book takes you through the logistics of slowing down and enjoying everything more. My favorite topics: how to raise an unhurried child and city planners who are designing "slow friendly" towns.

* This lovely etching by William Adolphe Bourguereau (French, 1825-1909) above, entitled: Nymphs with Satyr, is dated 1873. When my dad was a teen in the 1940's he found this print in a trash can and thought it was nice. Amazing that he held onto it for all these years, and now he wants me to have it. Thanks Dad!

WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT SUMMER??

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails